Think KFC! Think the crispy and spicy chicken popcorn, the crunchy on the outside and tender on the instead chicken wings at KFC, even the thought of it makes my mouth water.
Speaking of my toddler who is very finicky about the spices in his food, takes only a few minutes to hog the hot chicken popcorn from KFC.
Now, recently the KFC store near our house was shut for maintenance and renovation purpose. So the weekly treat my son enjoyed was put to hault. That’s when a dear friend suggested I need not fret, just try making it at home. And that’s how I started making this KFC style chicken popcorn at home. I now make these at home, twice or even thrice a week.
– 250 GMs chicken breast
– 2 Eggs
For the seasoning :
– Garlic powder
– Red chilli powder
– oregano herb
– Cut the chicken breast into small pieces, you could cut them into really small popcorn size pieces but I like to keep it slightly bigger.
– Sprinkle salt and black pepper powder on the chicken pieces and let it rest for a little while.
– If you are going to make this recipe in an air fryer, this is a good time to set your air fryer for pre heating at 300°F for 15 minutes
– Meanwhile in a bowl whisk two eggs with a pinch of salt, black pepper powder and oregano
– Take two cups of cornflakes and crush them with a spatula or slight blend them in a blender only to get coarse pieces and not powder.
– Now, coat the chicken pieces first in the egg mixture and then with cornflakes on all sides evenly. Egg wash and coat all the pieces with cornflakes.
– I cook these in the air fryer to avoid excess consumption of oil. I oil brush the air fryer try and set the coated chicken pieces inside and cook them for 10 minutes and then check if it’s cooked.
– You can otherwise, fry the chicken in oil on a medium flame to cook the chicken well from inside and the outside.
For the seasoning –
In a bowl take – two tablespoons of garlic powder, half tablespoon of oregano, salt to taste, black pepper powder and red chilli powder depending upon how spicy you’d like to make the chicken. Mix the ingredients well and sprinkle this seasoning generously on the chicken pieces.
Serve it hot with ketchup or with any other sauce.