Hey mommies!!! Welcome to motherhood!
First and foremost I Congratulate you as you have been blessed with magic in your life. And I also ask you to gear up, pull up your socks and be prepared to be a new you, since your life is now transformed ( in an awesome way) forever.
A blessing that accompanies mommyhood is breastfeeding. It is the most magical thing God empowered women with. Here I point out some Information every new mom must know. This is a quick brief for all mothers who have just begun their breastfeeding journey or are about to begin the voyage.
- Nursing your baby is the best thing you can do to enforce a strong bond between you and your baby right from the birth of your child.
- Breastfeeding has proven health benefits for not just the baby but mother as well.
- Breastfeeding gives your baby the best foundation to get BEST of health and immunity through out their life.
- Breastfed babies are proven to have a higher IQ level.
- When a mother breastfeeds, her body releases a hormone called ‘oxytocin’ – the love hormone. ( But our motherly love is not dependent on any hormone irrespective).
- Breastfeeding helps a woman lose weight and keep baby blues and post partum depression at bay.
- More than anything else breastfeeding gives a woman a sense of high, a feeling of pride for being able to provide for her baby.
Ready to breastfeed?
During pregnancy a woman undergoes a lot of physical and mental changes to be able to breastfeed. The breasts begin to grow and nipple and areola darken. That is the beauty of nature, it prepares a woman’s body right from conception.
But you have to do your bit, by preparing your mind.
- Assure yourself that your milk is best for your baby. And that you have it in you to provide the best to your baby. There is no looking back.
- Set breastfeeding goals for yourself. Make up your mind to exclusively breastfeed your baby for at least 6 months and continue breastfeeding till 2 years of age.
- Depending on your personal and professional commitments, set your priorities right to be able to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months. Attend classes or read about breast milk expression and storage to help you achieve your goal.
- Start initiation of breastfeeding within 1 hour of birth wherein the baby is active and latches on easily and gets colostrum ; which is essentially the first vaccination for your baby which makes baby strong and immune.
- First few days begin with proactive and frequent feeding. Then follow on demand, unrestricted feeding.
- There is no rule or set time-table. Your baby may demand a feed after 3 hours or sometimes even after 30 minutes. There is nothing to worry about. When in doubt, seek advice and help from qualified professionals and not self proclaimed experts.
- Let down of milk happens around day 3 to day 5. That is when your milk comes in. So be patient keep feeding and don’t worry about your output, your body is designed to produce as much as your baby needs.
- The early days of motherhood can be tiring and frustrating but yet are definitely rewarding. So enjoy this rollercoaster ride of motherhood and breastfeeding.
- Set your priorities right. Adjust your work leaves, arrange for help for household chores, take as much help as you need without any guilt, read from reliable sources and always always be in a positive zone. These little things grow up really quick, so don’t miss a moment, cribbing.
- Early weeks are full of learning and development. For best intellectual and emotional security give a lot of SKIN to SKIN contact to your baby. All that your baby needs is you.
- Sucking is the most prevalent reflex for newborns which is satisfied with breast-feeding.
- During breastfeeding position yourself right, use pillows and backrest, be comfortable. Breastfeeding is not a task to be accomplished. Make it a way of life, just like eating your own meal.
- Understand your baby’s sign language getting the mechanics of latch. Comforting your baby and understanding how much baby needs is what you will learn with time. So don’t expect to win the marathon on day 1.
- Try to observe other mothers in your pregnancy. Take a session from your lactation consultant or obstetrician . You are in driving seat for your baby, make thus ride a happy and joyful one for both of you. Be confident stay calm and be happy.