In our fast-paced life, we often fail to dedicate ample time to our health. It has become more significant than ever to consume a diet that helps build strength, immunity, stamina and help cope with the hustle of everyday life.
One such quick snack, that has been traditionally consumed for over thousands of years is Nuts. Nuts are highly beneficial for the healthy growth of our body and minds. Endowed with essential nutrients, it can be rightly said that, nuts are a necessity for all of us. There are different types of nuts, each has its own set of benefits from the other.
However, there is one unsung hero from the nut family that we will delve deep into understanding in this post.
On 27th May 2020 American Pistachio Growers (APG) organised a virtual knowledge session with Dr. Mike Roussell, Globally Renowned Nutrition Consultant, Author and Advisor, based in USA to create awareness about the importance of protein intake for both children as well as adults and informing people about Pistachios being declared as a “complete” protein after a detailed research. I attended this informative session and here are my key takeaways from it
Rich in Nutrients:
According to APG, 1 ounce or approximately 49 kernels of unroasted nuts contain:
Fiber: 3.00 g
Protein: 6 grams (g)
Potassium: 580 mg
Also contains Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin B-6, Thiamin
Needless to say, they are loaded with nutrients which makes them a perfect snack for children as well as for adults.
Dr. Mike Roussell said that “the research showing that American Pistachios are a complete protein is extremely important because it shows that they contain nine essential amino acids that your body needs in a form that is readily absorbable and available for your body to use. This is unlike other plant proteins that are incomplete and where you need to add other complimentary proteins to get the essential amino acids.”
Packed with Antioxidants:
Antioxidants are substances that play a critical role in health. They reduce the risk of diseases by preventing damage to the body’s cells.
What is unique about pistachios is that they have higher levels of some antioxidants than other nuts.
• Pistachios mainly contain EGCG which is a primary antioxidant in Green Tea. It’s thought to reduce inflammation, aid weight loss, and help prevent heart and brain disease.
• Pistachios are the only nuts that contain antioxidant Anthocyanin. It helps keep the blood vessels healthy and promotes overall health. They are the pigments that give red, purple, and blue plants their rich colouring.
• The antioxidants lutein is essential for eye health. Pistachios are a rich source of this substance.
Why Pistachios Make An Ideal Snack For Kids
• Growing children need adequate amount of protein for their growth and development. Pistachios being a source of complete protein is a perfect option for children.
• Pistachios contain fibre which helps promote digestion process
• Lutein which is an antioxidant found in pistachios is needed for healthy eye and brain development
• Pistachios are a good source of healthy fats for energy and proper development
• Apart from the several health benefits they have, Pistachios are fun to eat. They help get kids engaged in healthy eating
• They are portable and easy to carry
Pistachios Are Great Not Only For Kids But Also For Adults:
• They are a good protein for recovery which makes them a perfect snack for consuming post exercise
• Pistachios help restore minerals that body looses post exercise
• Daily snacking on pistachios reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases by controlling factors like cholesterol and triglycerides
• They help control blood sugar
• Pistachios support healthy brain function in adults
• Contrary to popular belief, pistachios can help adults maintain healthy weight. A French study found that adding a daily snack of pistachios led to no change in weight
To conclude one can say that American Pistachios are a delicious snack full of quality protein and Key nutrients for children as well as for adults.