It is of extreme significance to teach our kids about the role community helpers play in our society. These are heroes we must respect and appreciate.
In a quest to make my son understand the role of one such community helpers – firefighters we visited the fire station. To further reinforce what we learnt there we did this fun craft based on fire fighters.
Instead of being preachy about how brave the firefighters are, how they extinguish fire and save lives, I narrated a story of a little boy who accidentally burnt his house and was rescued by the fearless firemen. The story was completely made up but after I finished the story firefighters were no less than masked supermen for my son.
Firefighters – hand painting
Now that my son knew about the role of firefighter and was totally in awe of the community, we made a fun painting about them.
Here is how you can do this activity with your toddler/preschooler :
What you will need – art sheet/drawing book, Paints, brush, marker, sparkles, circle stickers or paper cut into tiny circles, cut outs of tiny hats
How to do it?
– Start off with painting your hand with poster paint of your favourite colour and let your child do the same.
– While the paint is still wet make an impression of your hands on the paper
– paste tiny little circles on the top edge of every finger and watch your child paste his stickers on his firefighters
– paste tiny hat cutouts on the circles. I used adhesive circles to make the hats. This made pasting them easier for my preschooler
– now make the eyes, nose and lips on the circles to make them look like tiny men
– make the arms of the firefighters
– make a hose starting from the little finger passing through each of the finger to reach the thumb and further downwards
– and then paint the water rushing out of the hose
And there it is, five little firemen who work with each other in perfect sync are ready to put the fire off.